Kenyan Women In Canada Association (KWICA) is federal not-for-profit organization incorporated in Canada. KWICA implements programs, events and activities that address the unique challenges Kenyan women face socially, economically and professionally. KWICA operates through regional chapters across the country. KWICA embraces an inclusive definition of “women” that includes people who identify as women, girls, trans, genderqueer, and gender non-binary. KWICA is at the forefront of social change through championing the needs of women, children, and families.
To improve quality of life and promote social and economic inclusion of women to enable them become contributing members of society and to live with dignity.
To promote, develop and support the growth and successes of Kenyans through increased representation, mentorship and networking opportunities with a special focus on women, because they face barriers that require distinct solutions.
Access and equity; dignity and respect; social inclusion; and collaboration.
We are in the process of building programs whereby all registered KWICA members in Canada will participate through an online survey to help identify the priority areas. Below are some of the suggested programs:
- Immigration and Settlement
- Youth Outreach
- Social and Economic Empowerment
- Violence against Women
- Employment and Career Counseling
ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP AND STRUCTURES
The initial of KWICA leadership will be as follows:
- Board of Directors (BoD)
- Regional Council (Consisting of Regional Chairs & BoD)
Note: Other levels of governance will be structured later once the Council is formed.
The following are the Regional Council leaders:
KWICA REGIONAL COUNCIL
Position Region Province(s)
- Regional Chair Toronto Ontario
- Regional Chair Ottawa Ontario
- Regional Chair London Ontario
- Regional Chair Niagara Falls Ontario
- Regional Chair Alberta Alberta
- Regional Chair Saskatchewan Saskatchewan
- Regional Chair British Columbia British Columbia
- Regional Chair Quebec Quebec
- Regional Chair Manitoba Manitoba
- Regional Chair Western Territories Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland & Labrador
In the coming days and weeks KWICA will embark on the following activities:
- Sharing of the KWICA By-laws
- Members registration across the country
- Online Survey for KWICA Programs and Projects
- Elections of Regional Chairs